MarksNelson is seeking a professional, full-time, dependable individual to provide support to the State and Local Tax Department. The associate will be expected to utilize research, analytical and writing skills to interpret complex issues and recommend solutions for clients.
MarksNelson, a progressive, full-service CPA and consulting firm located in Kansas City, Missouri, provides a broad range of services for businesses in a variety of industries. We don’t just work for our clients, we work with our clients, helping them safeguard and grow their business. MarksNelson is not just dedicated to helping our clients Move Forward — we are committed to helping our professionals expand their knowledge base and grow as respected team members.
- Research tax credit and incentives program eligibility and develop cost/benefit analysis for various offerings related to client projects.
- Gather information to submit applications and secure approval for tax credits and incentives on behalf of clients.
- Work with federal, state and local government representatives to prepare necessary reports to secure benefits for clients and monitor results.
- Utilize legal databases to research sales and use tax laws; provide legal summaries to internal and external constituents.
- Research state nexus laws and determine sales and use tax planning strategies for clients.
- Analyze client sales and purchase data and applicable sales and use tax laws to determine potential tax savings.
- Review client policies and procedures for compliance with state and local tax laws.
- 1-2 years of experience in sales and use tax or tax credits and incentives.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; extensive course work in a business related discipline (e.g., business administration, finance, accounting, economics) preferred.
- J.D. strongly preferred.
- Strong legal research and writing skills.
- Successful candidate will be a team player with a can-do attitude, capable of multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to speak clearly and concisely, in a positive, professional manner and be able to interact with government officials, co-workers, and management in a mature, respectful demeanor.
- Excellent organizational and documentation skills are essential, as well as the ability to read, interpret, and follow oral and written instructions.
- Analytical and problem solving skills as well as attention to detail are essential for this position.
- Ability to be a self-starter and work independently in a team oriented environment.
- Proficiency with MS-Office, especially Word and Excel, are necessary.
- May require sitting for long periods of time. May also require standing, walking, bending, stretching for files or supplies. May need to be able carry files or other materials in excess of 15 lbs.
- Demonstrated professional business communication skills; both verbal and written.
- Occasional travel is required.
OTHER KEY COMPETENCIES:
- Organizational skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Customer service orientation
MarksNelson is committed to growing a successful, respected organization known for serving as our clients’ trusted advisors by providing a level of service and expertise that is on par with international, national, and regional firms. MarksNelson is dedicated to helping our clients, our company, our professionals, and the community around us to Move Forward.
Our professionals Get On Their Mark every day in an environment that encourages us to live our values:
Commitment: There is no substitute for personal attention. It enables us to truly connect, so we can understand perspectives, anticipate needs, and provide the best solutions.
Curiosity: At MarksNelson, we think curiosity is a virtue. We work to understand not only what our clients do, but why they do it.
Excellence: The team at MarksNelson believes in delivering a quality product with attention to detail and accuracy and to providing a broad strategic view. Excellence comes from knowledge and proven experience.
Vigilance: We are vigilant about the details. Every firm says it puts its clients first. MarksNelson does more, by keeping our clients on track and informed. We want to collaborate to provide needed solutions.
If curiosity, excellence, commitment, and vigilance strike you as more than words, then perhaps, we should Move Forward…together.
We are proud to offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, and an ideal work/life balance. If you are a dedicated team player that can continue our commitment to client service and are looking to move your career forward, please send your resume one of the following ways:
Attention: De Ann Demo
1310 East 104th Street, Suite 300
Kansas City, MO 64131
Fax: 816-743-7701, Attention: De Ann Demo
MarksNelson is an Equal Opportunity Employer