MarksNelson is seeking a full-time, highly skilled CPA to join us as a Supervisor within our Accounting Services area.
MarksNelson, a progressive, full-service CPA and consulting firm located in Kansas City, Missouri, provides a broad range of services for businesses in a variety of industries. We don’t just work for our clients, we work with our clients, helping them safeguard and grow their business. MarksNelson is not just dedicated to helping our clients Move Forward — we are committed to helping our professionals expand their knowledge base and grow as respected team members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the transition of new clients from their existing accounting environment to the MarksNelson Cloud Accounting Services Model
- Implement our integrated technology solutions
- Provide training to new clients, in the use of our solutions
- Lead financial clean-up projects, for clients who come to the firm with incomplete and/or inaccurate financial data files
- Lead the financial reporting efforts for the clients, for their first 3-6 months with MarksNelson, from daily transaction-entry through to complete accrual-based financial statements, with supporting backup.
- Prepare financial statement compilations, if requested
- Work closely with our third party technology vendors, to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our service commitments to our clients and staff.
- Provide support to the sales and channel development teams, by reviewing information collected from prospects, in order to provide fee estimates, respond to technical and service questions from prospects, and assist with the preparation of an accurate engagement letter.
- Lead the project management effort that onboard new clients, ensures a timely, accurate, and overall positive experience for the client, within the documented scope of the engagement. Quickly identify any potential issues during the onboarding process that were not discovered during the sales phase, and determine the correct handling of those issues.
- Manage the daily accounting functions for the Cloud Accounting team (though this may be transitioned in the future), in order to ensure the accuracy of both our client billing and the payment of our 3rd party vendors. This includes the internal audit of our vendor bills to ensure that we are accurately adding and terminating users of our 3rd party technology solutions and services.
- Setup of new client workflow tasks and timelines in our client management system (and, in the future, training our Client Service Representative to complete this, with CPA review and oversight)
- Prepare Client Management Reports that our clients receive each month, summarizing key elements of their financial reports and other communications from MarksNelson.
- Prepare monthly internal “Client Scope Analysis Reports” for discussion with the Practice Leaders, and assume responsibility for keeping client engagements within the agreed-upon scope (referring new service requests to the sales process
The CPA in this position will be provided with robust training and certification on use of our technology during the first sixty days of employment, including:
- QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online (within the first 30 days of employment)
- Other vital software solutions, including Cloud9 hosting environment, Office 365, Zendesk, Bill.com, Expensify, Smartsheet, and RUN ADP.
- Other solutions that we currently use to serve our clients
In order to ensure the CPA has a full understanding of the services we provide and proficiency with our technology, the CPA will be responsible for personally performing implementation, support, and full-charge bookkeeping services for the first 90 days.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting with minimum GPA of 3.3
- Active CPA license. MBA preferred
- 5-7 years of experience in private/public accounting working with clients with $1-$30 million in annual revenue. Some experience working with clients with revenues up to $50 million preferred.
- 2-3 years managing staff is critical. Experience working in a pay-for-performance environment preferred, but not required
- A love of technology, and of process improvement, and experience “in the trenches” in an entrepreneurial environment. This role is not like anything you will have experienced before, or will have an opportunity to experience again.
- Prior business experience and ability to apply that experience to a wide range of client situations
- Experience working in a paperless environment strongly preferred
- Project management skills
- Time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Team player with a positive ”can-do” approach
- A general and growing knowledge of firm products and services in the practice area, and a general knowledge of products and services in other practice areas
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to manage unexpected and sometimes urgent firm or client matters as they arise
- Strong self-starter who is comfortable working both independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to prioritize and work effectively with a high volume of workload and meet deadlines
- Communication skills – clear, concise writing and verbal skills
- Organization skills; attention to detail and accuracy; flexibility; strong analytical skills
- Integrity and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Strong customer service orientation and professional appearance
- Proficiency in modern accounting software such as QuickBooks Desktop, QuickBooks Online, ADP, Bill.com, etc. preferred
- Demonstrated history of completing GAAP-compliant financial statements for LLCs, S-Corporations, and C-Corporation clients
- Strong technology skills using Microsoft Office 2007 or later (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook at a minimum, more applications preferred)
- Comfort with the “day to day” use of smartphones, tablets, and other mobile technology solutions
- Experience using web-meeting software such as GoToMeeting® preferred, but not required
- Experience creating project management plans, and tracking WIP, preferred
- Ability to prepare training documents and lead client and staff training sessions, via web meeting or in person (using PowerPoint, screen image “snipping” tools, etc.)
- Customer service orientation
MarksNelson is committed to growing a successful, respected organization known for serving as our clients’ trusted advisors by providing a level of service and expertise that is on par with international, national, and regional firms. MarksNelson is dedicated to helping our clients, our firm, our professionals, and the community around us to Move Forward.
Our professionals Get On Their Mark every day in an environment that encourages us to live our values:
Commitment: There is no substitute for personal attention. It enables us to truly connect, so we can understand perspectives, anticipate needs, and provide the best solutions.
Curiosity: At MarksNelson, we think curiosity is a virtue. We work to understand not only what our clients do, but why they do it.
Excellence: The team at MarksNelson believes in delivering a quality product with attention to detail and accuracy and to providing a broad strategic view. Excellence comes from knowledge and proven experience.
Vigilance: We are vigilant about the details. Every firm says it puts its clients first. MarksNelson does more, by keeping our clients on track and informed. We want to collaborate to provide needed solutions.
If commitment, curiosity, excellence and vigilance strike you as more than words, then perhaps, we should Move Forward…together.
We are proud to offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, and an ideal work/life balance. If you are a dedicated team player that can continue our commitment to client service and are looking to move your career forward, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MarksNelson is an Equal Opportunity Employer